Lighting the Menorah:
- Put the candles in from right to left. So, on the first day, use the far right side.
- Light the Shamash candle first, then say the blessings.
- All three blessings (below) are said the first night. On the rest of the nights, only the first two blessings are said.
- Light candles from left to right. The newest candle is always lit first.
- Candles should be in the window so that they look correct from the inside and backwards from the outside.
- Electric menorahs are fine but the blessings should be recited over real candles.
Click to hear the first blessing.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, Who sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to kindle the Chanukah lights.
Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech ha'o'lam, asher kid'sha'nu beh'miz'vo'tav veh'tzi'va'nu leh'had'lik ner shel Chanukah.
Click to hear the second blessing.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, Who performed wondrous miracles for our ancestors, in those days, at this time."
Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech ha'o'lam, sheh'a'sa ni'sim la'a'vo'the'nu ba'ya'mim ha'hem, baz'man ha'zeh.
Shehecheyanu (said only on the first night)
Click to hear Shehecheyanu
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, Who has kept us in life, sustained us, and brought us to this moment
Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech ha'o'lam, sheh'heh'cheh'ya'nu,veh'ki'yeh'ma'nu, veh'he'g'a'nu, laz'man ha'zeh.