WJC’s Social Action Committee is actively involved in numerous projects that afford individuals of all ages the opportunity to get involved. Our projects range from one-time events to ongoing programs. The Mitzvah Card, which is distributed on Kol Nidre, is our main source of volunteers for these activities. We hope you will get involved! Please feel free to contact the chair of the Social Action Committee, Sharon Silver, [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns.
- Food of the Month: we will be distributing a custom designed recyclable bag for each WJC family that can be used to purchase your “Food of the Month” donation to the Larchmont-Mamaroneck Food Pantry. The monthly food item is emblazoned on the bag. For your convenience, here is the list as well:
- September: cereal/Parmalat
- October: tuna fish
- November: dried beans
- December: coffee/tea
- January: soup
- February: cereal/Parmalat
- March/April: Passover items
- May: canned vegetables
- June: juice (no glass)
- July: tuna fish
- August: cereal/Parmalat
Collection bins are located by the dairy kitchen. Contact Sondra Levy at [email protected] if you have any questions.
- Bikur Cholim: Sign up to make a meal for fellow congregants for Shivas, births or illnesses. We maintain a lengthy list of excellent chefs who are called upon on a rotating basis as the need arises. Sign up to visit and bring cheer and warmth to our fellow congregants. Guidance will be offered as appropriate. Contact the Bikur Cholim committee at [email protected].
- Community Craft/Baking Day: Participate in a family event to benefit local community groups. In previous years, families have gathered to make cookies and crafts, which were donated, to the KEEPS After School Care Center in Mamaroneck. This event is generally held on a Sunday in the winter. Contact Sondra Levy at [email protected].
- Help the Hungry - Join fellow congregants in preparing sandwiches for distribution to local shelters such as the Don Bosco Community Center in Port Chester. This event is held bi-monthly at varying times on a Sunday. Contact Sondra Levy at [email protected]
- Community Resource Center (fka Hispanic Resource Center) - WJC has forged a relationship in recent years with the neighboring Community Resource Center (HRC) in Mamaroneck. All year long, the CRC is in need of English teachers for Spanish speaking individuals. In addition, in December we host a holiday gift drive for the families serviced by the CRC. You can sign up to help organize the event as well as contribute a gift to those who are less fortunate. Contact Ruth Obernbreit Glass at [email protected]
- Mitzvah Day – We collect gently used clothing for donation to the Don Bosco Community Center in Port Chester. We collect over the counter medications for the elderly Jewish community in Ternopil, Ukraine. In addition, the Brotherhood holds its annual Blood Drive on Mitzvah Day. Clean out your closets and help those in need! Contact Eve Edelman Russ at [email protected]
- Mitzvah Drivers – Sign up to help drive an elderly WJC member to shul on Shabbat or doctor’s appointments. We maintain a list of volunteers who help fulfill this need on a rotating basis. Contact Ruth Obernbreit Glass at [email protected]
- Project Ezra – We seek volunteers to assist at an annual luncheon for elderly people who visit us from the Lower East Side. We serve them a healthful lunch and provide entertainment. Contact Janice Mallett at [email protected]
- Project Ezra Food Drive – We collect Passover foods for the homebound elderly Jewish population who live on either the Lower East Side or Pelham Parkway neighborhood in the Bronx. Volunteers are needed to help pack up for the donated food items for distribution. In addition, you can participate in deliveries to the homebound and elderly in the Bronx. Contact Sharon Silver at [email protected]
- Hunger Task Force: Food donations (in addition to the specifics noted above) for the Larchmont-Mamaroneck Food Pantry (which is housed at the CAP Center on 34 Center Avenue in Mamaroneck) can always be left in the white wicker baskets stationed both upstairs and downstairs at WJC. Over 200 families count on food distributed by the Larchmont-Mamaroneck Food Pantry biweekly. WJC also needs volunteers to transport food donations from WJC to the CAP Center in Mamaroneck. It is a great mitzvah for those seniors in High School who now have a car! Contact Sondra Levy at [email protected].
MITZVAH DAY - Each year, we ask members to donate and/or participate in the following:
- Clothing Drive: Donate clothes in good condition for needy organizations. Every year we fill a large truck completely.
- Medicine Drive: Donate over-the-counter medicines that are shipped to Ternopil, Ukraine. After the fall of the USSR we became “twinned” with the city of Ternopil in the Ukraine through Y'ad L'Yad (Hand to Hand), an organization that links Jewish communities in the former USSR with American synagogues to help keep an eye on their safety and health. Many of the elderly Jews there are living below poverty level and are in desperate need of OTC medicines.
- Brotherhood Blood Drive: Give Blood! The New York Blood Center comes to WJC to collect donations for the area hospitals. The Brotherhood coordinates this and provides refreshments. For more information, please contact [email protected]
We are always looking for new ideas and members. For more information, please contact Sharon Silver, [email protected].