Bring Israel Into Your Home
The Jewish Agency for Israel seeks host families for their Shinsinim Program
The Shinshinim program creates a unique Israel engagement opportunity for the Westchester and its environs Jewish communities and is based out of the Jewish Agency For Israel.
WHO ARE THE SHINSHIMIM?
- “Shinshinim” derives from the Hebrew phrase, “Shnat Sherut,” which means “year of community service”
- They are 18-year-old Israeli emissaries
- Their mission is to bring Israel to life inside and outside the walls of the Jewish institutions
HOW ARE THEY A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY?
- The Shinshinim take part in innovative Israeli education and engagement programs at more than 30 partner organizations
- Every week, our Shinshinim engaged with over a thousand kids, students and young adults from all across Westchester
- Shinshinim live with host families – who can be families with children living at home, “empty-nester” couples, or grandparents – for 4-5 month hosting term
“Yoav quickly became our third son and a loving member of our family. We`ve also had the opportunity to become a part of Yoav`s family in Israel. We can’t say enough about the Shinshinim hosting experience. We not only opened our home to Yoav but to all of his friends from the program and encourage anyone looking for a connection to Israel and for a great addition to their family to support the Shinshinim program and open up their home.”
—SHINSHINIM HOST FAMILY FROM PLAINVIEW
- Experience a unique and meaningful way to connect to Israel
- Develop a personal relationship with a future leader of Israel
- Discover and learn about Israeli customs and culture
- Support and promote a positive image of Israel
- Expose a young Israeli to Jewish life in America
- Perform an act of Tikkun Olam
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF A HOST FAMILY?
- Private room in your home for the Shinshin to stay
- Food for daily meals
- A nurturing home environment for 4-5 month time period
WHAT IS PROVIDED TO EACH SHINSHIN?
- Insured car – Shinshinim drive themselves
- Cell phone
- Health insurance – provided through the Jewish Agency
- Financial stipend to the Shinshin
“My stay with my host family, that I now get to call my second family, was an incredible experience! I have no doubt that the relationship we have built will last long after I move out. I can’t wait for them to visit Israel where I’ll have the opportunity to host them in my home.”
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO BECOME A HOST FAMILY, CONTACT BETTY ZILBERSTEIN, SHINSHINIM PROGRAM COORDINATOR, at 914.320.7874 or BETTYZ@JAFI.ORG